I love it when I’m able to tweak a standard-issue recipe into low carb fantastic-ness, and this week we created a dish that’s sure to stick around as a favorite in our casa: Bell peppers stuffed with a ground turkey/chopped mushroom blend.
The original recipe for this dish called for two cups of cooked rice to be added in to the meat mixture (you can use ground beef or turkey or a meat substitute), but that wasn’t going to keep my BGs very happy. We subbed chopped mushrooms for the rice, and upped the ante to three cups instead of two since mushrooms cook down so much. The end result was so delicious thst Jacob and I both went back for seconds…and thirds the next day for lunch.
And speaking of my fiance, these are the moments I’m talking about when I say that he “lives diabetes with me.” A different person might have left the rice in there, or made the rice separate so he could have it and I could have a much more boring dish. But Jacob looks at a recipe and says “there’s a low-carb way to do this,” and then figures out a great alternative. And that’s a real partner.
Here’s a pic of our rockin’ dinner.
And here’s the full recipe:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup water
- 6 green bell peppers
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the beef until evenly browned.
- Remove and discard the tops, seeds, and membranes of the bell peppers. Arrange peppers in a baking dish with the hollowed sides facing upward. (Slice the bottoms of the peppers if necessary so that they will stand upright.)
- In a bowl, mix the browned beef, mushrooms, 1 can tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper. Mix the remaining tomato sauce and Italian seasoning in a bowl, and pour over the stuffed peppers. Sprinkle cheese on top of each pepper if desired.
- Bake 35 minutes in the preheated oven.